Friday, September 15, 2006

Smocked Gauntlets free pattern

********** Pattern revisioons as of 11/12/06 -- Please note that the ribbing has been corrected to read P3, K3 rather that K3,P3 as previously stated. I am so very sorry forthis inconvenience. If you printed a pattern prior to this date, please mark the revisions on your copy or print a new pattern. *******************

My first ever free pattern! There will be more to come in the future (I hope!) and this will soon be packaged up in the etsy shop in a neat little kit w/ needles and yarn. In the mean time, I have a few hanks of the superwash sport listed presently, or give it a go with anything suitable from your stash. I would love to see pics of FO's and if you encounter any probs with the pattern, please let me know, and we can work them out together. Let's get knittin'!!



Smocked Gauntlets, a Sereknity Knits pattern
Created by Heather J. Spellman

Materials:
1 skein Sereknity Sock Options Merino Superwash Sport, 4 oz. Approx. 250yards, Gothic
Rose colorway
Five size 3 double pointed needles
One Cable needle or extra Double pointed needle

Made to fit Ladies Medium, but has plenty of give.

Gauge – 28 stitches over 4 inches in stockinette.

Pattern stitch – smocked rib, adapted from the Knitting Stitch Bible

Row 1, 2, 3 – *p3,k3, repeat from * 3 times, p3
Row 4 – p3, w/yarn in back slip 9 to a cable needle, wrap working yarn around base of all nine stitches (snug, but not too tight!) counter-clockwise 3 times, ending w/ yarn in front ready for the next stitch. Slip stitches back to right hand needle, p3, wrap next nine in the same manner, p3
Row 5,6,7 – *p3,k3, repeat from * 3 times, p3
Row 8 – p3,k3,p3, slip next nine to cable needle and wrap as previous, p3, k3, p3

***If working with a self-striping yarn, I would recommend omitting the wrapped yarn and using pattern stitch as a simple p3,k3 rib so as not to detract from the yarn.***


CO 54; Divide stitches over 4DPNs -- #1 – 12, #2 – 15, #3 – 12, #4 – 15

Work in p3, k3 rib for 1.5 inches.

Begin palm and pattern stitch –
Needle #1 – stockinette, Needles 2&3, pattern stitch, Needle #--4 stockinette.

On 16th row (2 pattern stitch repeats completed) begin increases for thumb gusset as follows…

For Left Hand:
Round 1 -- Knit 9, pm (place marker), kfb,pm, knit 2. Continue pattern stitch on needles 2&3, knit to end of needle four.
Round 2 – knit even on 1&4, continue pattern stitch on 2&3.
Round 3 -- Knit to first marker, kfb, knit to last stitch before the last marker, Kfb, knit to end (2 stitches). Continue pattern stitch across needles 2 and 3.
Repeat rounds 2 and 3 until 20 stitches exist between the markers.


For Right Hand:
Round 1 -- Knit Needle #1, Continue Pattern Stitch on Needles 2&3. On needle 4, k2, pm, kfb, pm, knit to the end of N4.
Round 2 – Knit even on needles 1&4, continue Pattern stitch on 2&3.
Round 3 – Knit even on needle 1, continue pattern stitch needles 2&3, knit to marker on needles 4 (i.e. K2), Kfb, knit to last stitch before marker, kfb, knit to end. Repeat rounds 2 and 3 until 20 stitches exist between the markers.

On next round, knit as established to first marker on needle #4, place 20 marked stitches on scrap yarn, pm, co 3, join and knit to end of needle #4.

Continue for one round even.
Next round at marker k2tog twice. Continue as est.

When pattern stitch has completed 4.5 times (or if you prefer longer mitts, 5.5 times), begin next round in p3,k3 rib. Continue rib for 1 inch. BO in pattern stitch (K3,p3).


THUMB

Divide thumb stitches over 3 needles. W/ 4th needle, pu 4 stitches and knit 2 rounds even. Begin k3p3 rib for 1 inch. BO in pattern stitch.


Weave in ends and Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

They came out awesome! I can't wait to try the pattern.

Lora said...

Love the pictures. I'll have to try the pattern soon :)

Gina House said...

I LOVE this pattern....I've decided to call these mitts, not "Smocked Gauntlets" as I should...as they are named, but "Happy Hand Huggers"....my poor hand feels so sad when I take it off!

Lapdog Creations said...

I can't wait to try them! Gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

I think there is a mistake in your pattern. This is when the Cable Pattern starts between needle 2 and 3.

Needle 2 has always begun with K3, not P3. Since needle 1 has 12 stitches and is ribbed with K3, P3, ending off in P3, Why would needle 2 begin with P3 in the pattern? I looked at your picture and it begins with a P3, so your instructions are a bit off.

By the way I love the picture and your pattern.

yarnophiliac said...

anonymous was right -- it appears there may be an issue with the sequence I will be posting a rvision. the ribbing sould be p3, k3, not k3, p3

Anonymous said...

Omg, srsly, I love this pattern. I can't wait to try it out. It looks just amazing. And btw, as a new-comer to your amazing blog, I FUCKING LOVE IT. k thats it. =P

Sildenafil Citrate said...

beautiful design of smocked gauntlets, I was looking for something like this for my daughter and I will follow this pattern to make them, thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi :) Love your gauntlets, and I am trying to knit them (I'm not used to knitting) , and I am self taught. I am also living in Norway so English is not my native language. I am having a bit of a problem,and I hope you can explain to me something. Because I can't find discribstions on your "short hand". Usually explanations follow. Example :" K3= Knit 3 stitches. What do you mean by "Knit 9, pm (place marker, I liked that :D ), kfb (what's that?). And I also wondered on two other things. I could not see in the beginning that you wrote how many stitches to kast on?? Is one gauntlet 54 sts? And you also write " Begin palm and pattern stitch- Needle #1 - stockinette (do you knit back and forth?) or round and a round? because it says needles 2&3 ,pattern stitch and needle 4 stockinette. I know I am difficult :D But if I understand it,anyone,anywhere in the world will understand ;) Thank you so much, with regards Kristin :)