Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mid-week Musings on knitting

I am at the point where ripping out a project is finally a very freeing event. I, as a rule, have far too many projects on the needles, and so very many more floating about in my head, that if an item is behaving in a less than satisfactory manner, it must needs go to it’s room until such time it decides to behave as all nice wool should. Sheep are timid creatures, prone to follow one’s lead, not ask too much or be too demanding. Doesn’t it stand to reason that we should expect the same of their lovely fleece? And don’t get me started on alpaca. Those big doe eyes that beg you to “love me, pet me, and I will be your eternal servant and beloved companion” how can they produce such an unruly offspring? It is a cruel trick of nature, to be sure. But, as any proper mother should, I will ignore the tantrums and not give weight to the silly antics of my yarn. I will quietly put it to the side, with a firm “I do this because I love you,” and wait for it to call to me, apologetically, hopefully, “Mommy? Will you come knit with me?” After all, I have big plans for my wool, and I will not allow it to cheat itself out of its full potential.

3 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

I ripped back the smocked gauntlets FOUR times last night... I finally went to bed with one, yes ONE, round finished... ay, yi, yi... I think I wasn't meant to knit last night :)

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee, you crack me up. Bad day? :)

Gina House said...

Very insightful and I think you're doing a wonderful job with EVERYTHING...just take some time out for you when you can. OH, and thank you SO much for knitting up my pattern. I really appreciate it!!!