Friday, November 10, 2006

"Don't even MENTION transvestites or I'll get pregnant!"

Ahhhhhh, the delightful sound of drunken knitters, hign on jello-shots and yarn fumes with nowhere to go. This was an actual quote form Lora -- I just had to write it down so I wouldn't forget! -- I don't recall the exact story but it did involve conception, transvestites in a gay bar, and thankfully, her husband. That is all I remember. You see, I too partook in these wonderful confections...

...brought by the fabulous (and sadly blogless) Sara. mmmmmmmmm I love jello shots? What? Me? Drinking? noooooo, only had one glass of wine! hehehe And the truly amazing thing? Of all the weekends knitting mistakes, none were made during our "spirited" evening. In fact, it would seem entrelac is aided by the stuff (again, see Lora's blog for her version of the events). We (the Manchvegans) most certainly took good old Grand View Lodge and it's "Two Days in a Yarn Shop" retreat to new heights.
And yes, knitting was done! We even initiated knitting virgin Lisa, friend of Laurin, who began a lovely Manos scarf. I was happily joined by life long an dear friend Amy, who remarked that the knitting was a mere sideline to the weekend -- it was more of a big slumber party. She was right! But the knitting was certainly a wonderful sideline. I worked on Rachel's Debbie Bliss sweater (finally) as well as taking a stab or two at my Jaywalkers. Seriously, I might have knit 2 whole stitches into them. I don't know why, but I just can't get into them. I love the colorway, but the yarn is such a thin weight that it takes forever to knit. I'm most likely going to leave the legs really, really short and just start the darn heel flaps. These things need to go away.

I was seriously restless with my fiber all weekend -- spun on the drop spindle for about 10-15 minute at a time, cruised around the shop, came back to knit for a few, then would page through a magazine, and start some semblance of the process all over again. I think I am overwhelming myself with all the ideas I have and projects I want to do. So what did I do? Buy more pattern books. What is WRONG w/me? I was a good girl, thought, and didn't break the hundred mark in purchases, so I am very proud of that. I have been on an un-official yarn diet, since I have enough yarn to insulate my house, and even managed to walk out of the yarn shop when I visited Stitchy last week w/out a single itty bitty bit of fiberous material. Be proud of me. But back to the Grand View Trip, if you ever get a chance, you HAVE TO GO. Give Viv a call -- she is a great lady, and for a girlie get-away, it is unsurpassed.
In other knitting news, on the drive home (AMY WAS DRIVING! sheesh), I cast-on a mitten for Jacob in my yellow handspun. OMG this has got to be the UGLIEST MITTEN EVER KNIT.

The yarn is unevenly spun and plied and this really showed in the tight gauge I attempted to knit it at. Ug. I finished the kitchener stitch and pulled and prodded and TRIED to make it look better, but never got to the thumb. It now lies dormant in a nicely wound ball waiting for another try. I first have to recover -- and I had thought I was a pretty good knitter. le sigh
Other bits of business include the induction of Nichole into the world of hand-spinning...

...and my first pair of polymer clay needles made with my own hand-carved needles...
These little llamas are headed to New Jersey today, and I hope the recipient is as happy with them as I was w/ how they came out.
I plan to list a number of things on etsy throughout the day -- I have four sock knitting kits going up that I think are pretty spectacular (if I do say so myself!) a couple lone sock bags and a bunch of stitch marker sets. Hopefully, my camera and my items will agree w/ each other -- they certainly don't care one bit about what I want!
I'll leave you with some more pics of Grand View, and a reminder to check out Gina's new podcast -- "The Drinking Game." See a theme here? Sheesh! What a bunch of lushes! Gina is also running a contest for some stash yarns, so be sure to take a peek.
Amy, caught in the act...

...as are Laurin and Lisa...

Laurie and Sarah...

Gaye and her magnificent shawl...

Ericka at work on her wedding photo barter sweater...

THIS is why is is called Grand View...

Jackie giving Sven a little love...

Amy cursing the magic loop cast on in novelty yarn...

and a few shop views...

2 comments:

Gina House said...

Awesome blog! I"m sorry the mitten didn't come out exactly the way you were hoping. I'm sure Jacob will love it no matter what : )

Lapdog Creations said...

The llamas are adorable! Btw - SO happy you're doing sets of six DPN... my lovely Miss Lola happened upon one of my # 4's last Thursday night... argh!
Thanks for sharing the grandview pics!